The Gloria neighborhood takes it’s name from Nossa Senhora da Glória do Outeiro (Our Lady Glória of the Hillock) Church, being in a territory disputed by french, portuguese and indian folks during the 16th century reconquering battles. According to the tellings from french expedition, there used to be, at the bottom of the now existing Hillock a tupinambá village named Kariók or Karióg (meaning “house of the carijó”) – the denomination being believed to be the possible origin to Rio’s inhabitants naming “carioca”.
The district populating process had it’s start from the church’s construction in the 18th century. When the Royal Family arrived in Brazil, around 1808, the temple was chosen for the baptism realizations of royalty members. The proximity with the Government Hall at the end of the 19th century gave the área the status of “carioca Saint-Germain-des-Prés”, with a City of Lights’ clearly inspired architecture and urbanismo, including a french-type garden, the Paris Square. About the same time it started to shelter the luxurious hotels which served as a residence to deputies and senadors serving at the so called federal capital. With the power change to Brasília the place was progressively losing it’s emphasis but not it’s charm as well depicted in one of the most prominent brazilian novels, “Dom Casmurro” written by Machado de Assis.