The Rolé Carioca’s 6th edition begins with a true city “classic”: the Rio Branco Avenue. Inaugurated on the 20th century by the name of Central Avenue, it is part of a time of grand urbanistic intervention along the city. At the same period, many of the old houses, from the colonial era, after Dom João VI’s arrival, were torn down. By this time the city expanded its limits to the suburbs and the south. While these places still kept its residential character, the city - as the downtown was once called - used to be where people would go looking for amusement, news and information.
All the changes were a part of Rodrigues de Alves (1902 - 1906) government platform, including sanitation and extinction of the endemic areas inside the capital of the time. In order to acquire success in this project, the president named the engineer Pereira Passos as his mayor, responsible for the constructions intended to make Rio the “Paris of the tropics”, and as director of Public Health Service, the doctor Oswaldo Cruz. At the time, one of the most prominent initiatives was the opening of Central Avenue, which in 1912 began to be called Rio Branco Avenue (which remains until today), paid homage to Foreign Minister Rodrigues Alves, José Maria da Silva Paranhos Junior, known as Barão do Rio Branco.
As it became one of the most important avenues of the city, with intense traffic, Rio Branco changed drastically: the first buildings gave place countless skyscrapers and business centers all the way through it’s course. Just a little fraction of the historical constructions remains from the threshold of this century. The most recent reformation, which generated the Olympic Boulevard and the VLT path, intended to reach for it’s original purpose: a meeting spot, way more opportune space for walks, surrounded by the Theatro Municipal, the Museu de Belas Artes, Cine Odeon, each one offering a large amount of cultural entertainment close by the business center composed of Largo da Carioca e Uruguaiana.